Atlassian has just announced that the changes to their server and Data Center in October and they will discontinue selling server licenses.
The policies for Jira Server Desk are as following,
End of sale for new licenses
On February 2, 2021, PT, we will stop selling new licenses for our server products and cease new feature development in our server product line.
Three years of maintenance
If you have an existing server license, you can continue to renew and receive maintenance and support for your licenses until February 2, 2024, PT.
Updates to future pricing
On February 2, 2021 PT, we will increase the price of maintenance for existing server licenses to ensure the continued security and maintenance of our server platform.
1. After February 2, 2021, the server license will no more be on sale anymore.
2. Maintenance costs will increase year by year.
3. For the customers who have already subscribed need to pay maintenance fees according to the new preferential price after February 2, 2021, and
the renewal standard will be increased year by year.
4. The cost will be increased significantly ( The upgrade cost is much higher than the purchase. Take 100 users as an example. The 100 users original cost is $5500, but if you want to upgrade from 25-50 users to 100, the cost is $8000. )
5. Atlassian would not love to cost any more on on-premise Jira and you may go to this site and check Future server pricing tables, https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/future-pricing/server-pricing/pricing-tables )
6. Support and bug fixes will no longer be available for your server products and apps.
What's more critical is that,
1. No longer maintenance and update, we are not sure what will it be in the end.
2. New pricing plan might come out and it will be more expensive.
3. The more data saved on the server, the higher the migration cost.
As an alternative, try ZenTao!
You might check ZenTao vs. Jira Software to check more advanced features in ZenTao better than in Jira.
- ZenTao is an ALM ( Application Lifecycle Management ) tool that implements Scrum completely which involves Product(Project), Sprint, Test(issue/bug tracking). And the three instances are linked with user stories.
- There are many other workflows as a regular project, task, or process management to choose from as well.
- ZenTao is both available to On-Premise or SaaS.
Go to download On-Premise, https://www.zentao.pm/download.html
Go to take a one-month free trial of SaaS, https://saas.zentao.pm